Thursday, March 6, 2014

I Was Scrappin' When Scrappin' Wasn't Cool

A post on 2peas asked "Do you think your scrapbooking hobby has an end date?"

My response is below. I didn't have to consider my answer for a moment. Scrapbooking is a constant in my life that I never intend to give up.

I think this is a personal preference. I have scrapbooked for over 30 years. I have a scrapbook from my first year of college that is one of my greatest treasures. It is filled with pages from the first night I met my daughter's father. The next album has journaling and memorabilia from out dating and marriage.

When my father passed away a few years ago, I placed his favorite family scrapbook in his coffin so he will have a part of us for eternity.
I cannot imagine a time when I will not scrapbook. One of my greatest fears as I age is not having the dexterity to make scrapbook pages.


I don't have an issue with the amount of money I spend on my craft. It is my vehicle for self expression and in a real way my source of sanity. I have cut back on the amount of supplies I've purchased in 2014 in order to force myself to use more of what I have; but I have no intention of a total freeze unless my financial situation changes.
If everyone in the world stopped creating scrapbook pages, I will continue to scrapbook.
I am in the final stages of purging my extensive cache of scrapbook supplies. I have given every paper, sticker and album a heartfelt evaluation before choosing to keep it or let it go so that someone else can find pleasure in my treasure.

Scrapbooking isn't for everyone. It doesn't have to be. It is however a vital part of my life. Who's with me?

13 comments:

  1. I love what you've said and I totally agree. I can't see ever giving it up either and I sure hope I don't ever have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't have said it more perfectly! It's a vital part of my life, my family, our history and I don't think I'll ever stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I celebrate you and your passion for perserving your precious memories by scrapping. My creativity is different but as long as paper is involved I am very happy too. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you!!! Love your passion for this amazing craft. I haven't scrapped as long as you but I do share your passion. This is my sanity as well. My creative outlet that rejuvinates me and i never intend on it ending. TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that thread and agree with everything you wrote! It tugged at my heart to read that you placed an album with your father, what a wonderful thing to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so with you, beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, and even have the same fear regarding aging and losing dexterity for crafty pursuits. That's so sweet what you did for your father.

    I don't care if it's "cool" or not, I've been at it and loving it since the mid-90's, so I think it's safe to say I'm a lifer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed! Love your response!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everything you've said! I was scrapbooking long before it was such a popular hobby. And I will continue it even if it loses popularity and supplies become hard to find. Memory keeping is a huge part of my life. I can't imagine ever not doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you! That is such an eloquent post. How wonderful that you have pages from your college days. I started in my late 20's, when I first started dating my husband. Scrapbooking is a hobby of personal expression and memory keeping. I can't imagine those two desires going away for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love that scrap booking has been part of your life for so long. Like you I hope to scrap for the rest of my life.
    And what a precious treasure to

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read that post on 2 peas.
    I agree with you 100%
    I started scrapbooking before I even knew what it was. I was in grade 5. It was mostly a journal with photos or memorabilia in it.
    I will keep scrapbooking until I don't have the use of my hands.
    I have just started a major declutter and organization in my room as well :)

    ReplyDelete